Thursday, February 28

Ah, I am re-living my teen years today. Writing a piece on the 90s; grunge, britpop, "Beverly Hills 90210" and "My So-Called Life".
I remember my beloved Doc Martens that were a size too big, my green army jacket with a Bad Religion patch and my long blonde hair. This was when Green Day released "Dookie" and Kurt Cobain had moved on to wherever you go when you shoot yourself in the head.
I kicked the brick walls of my school to make my docs look worn and cool. I still have the Nirvana t-shirt and the Green Day t-shirt I bought that year.

We had to do an oral presentation for my english class, and my friend Karin asked if we could do someting on Nirvana together. I loved Nirvana and Karin knew I would do most of the work while she could get easy credit. However, my teacher saw right through it. After we finished she told Karin "Good work, but I think they are more punk in writing's favourites than yours". HA!
Karin always did very well in school. Last I heard she was studying to become a doctor.

I listened to grunge, punk and britpop. I had a crush on Damon Albarn of Blur and I wanted to be as cool as Justine of Elastica, but Pulp was my favourite britpop band. I saw them play at Olympen in Lund in 1996.

Another birthday has come and gone, and as I get older I can celebrate another year as a vegetarian. That's twelve years without meat and I haven't died of malnutrition yet. Being vegetarian has definitely gotten a lot easier since 1996, and now I have discovered punk rock veggie cooking! The cookbook "Vegan with a Vengeance" is in my kitchen and you can find episodes of the post punk kitchen online.

And today I found the Hardcore Chef... A punk rock boy that cooks veggies, yayy!



He's cute, but what's up with the aggressively colorful kitchen and the shirt that's a size too small?

4 comments:

Maggie said...

"I listened to grunge, punk and britpop. I had a crush on Damon Albarn of Blur and I wanted to be as cool as Justine of Elastica, but Pulp was my favourite britpop band. I saw them play at Olympen in Lund in 1996."

exakt det stycket hade jag kunnat skriva!

punk in writing said...

:)

ibland undrar jag om vi är barn av vår tid, eller den sista generationen innan internet tog över och masskulturen försvann...

Jools said...

My so called life.... I remember loving that show, but feeling jealous of my older sister because she "got it" far more than I did...

What a blast from the past...

punk in writing said...

to jools:
being an older sister has its perks. ;)