Thursday, April 3

The weirdness continues. But instead of whining about it I thought I'd pay tribute to some awesome Canadian things.

Let's start with one of the best live acts ever, Barenaked Ladies. My friend Sara introduced me to these guys via a mixtape in secondary school. A few moths later BNL played a gig at KB in Malmö and Sara convinced me to go. I had an amazing time. They were just so much fun on stage. The banter between songs was hilarious and singer Steven Page did a fabulous Celine Dion impression. And I met them outside after the show and Steven signed my train timetable.

Around that same time Alanis Morissette gave my teenage angst a voice as I outgrew Bryan Adams and his Summer of '69.
It's been a while since I listened to Alanis, but Bif Naked makes frequent visits to my stereo.

And what would my teenage years have been without Beverly Hills 90210 and Brandon Walsh, played by Canadian actor Jason Priestly. I also spent several hours gushing over Keanu Reeves in Parenthood, Point Break, and Johnny Mnemonic.
Hang on, I almost forgot Mike Myers! Wayne's World, Austin Powers and Shrek. Need I say more?

When I lived in Belfast I got to know a whole bunch of Canadians. (Hello Mary, Julie, Peter and Sean!) They end their sentences with "eh", put Maple Syrup on everything and drink pop instead of soda.
I miss you guys.

No comments: