Wednesday, August 27

Jet Lag City

I'm back home after two weeks of adventures along Highway 1. I didn't remember how anoying jet lag is until I experienced it again. It's hard to fall asleep at night and my body doesn't know if it's coming or going.

Also, I miss the California sun and the warm weather of southern California. And all that tasy Mexican food...

But there are some things about America that I have a hard time getting my head around, such as the self-flushing toilets. Usually found in airports, museums and department stores. Do most people forget to flush, or is it a way to keep people from spending too long in there? Or are Americans to scared of germs to flush the traditional way?

Having to add tips (or service charge as they prefer to call it) and tax to everything you buy means doing math with every meal. And why does the waiter/waitress always drop by to ask how the food is just as I've stuffed my face and can only manage a "mmm-hmm" while nodding approvingly?

Newspapers aren't stapled together and fall apart as soon as you pick them up. Maybe they need all the metal they can find for their cars?

2 comments:

Stevyn Colgan said...

Jet lag is a ghastly thing. But nice to have you back! x

punk in writing said...

Thanks.

It's good to be back. :)