Monday, September 29

Do I like Twin Peaks?

I just got asked a random question by a friend. Do I like Twin Peaks? I have never really seen enough of the show to form an opinion, and that's what I answered.
My friend's reply?
He just wanted to know.

See, you can't just ask me a question like this and not follow up on it. Is it some sort of character defining question that I ought to know about? I suspect an agenda behind the question and it's driving me nuts.

My favourite tv-shows are cult shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Doctor Who, Red Dwarf and Mystery Science Theatre 3000. I'm a geek and proud of it.

Willow, Buffy and Xander never stop fighting. The Scoobies are still going strong as comics.

Another show that I followed religiously was Gilmore Girls. Loreli and Rory's relationship resembled the household I grew up in; fast talking, clothes-sharing, plenty of books and with an occasionally strained relationship with older generations.

Maybe it all boils down to the fact that I like shows that portray strong women, witty dialogue and kick-ass fights. Good looking male characters doesn't hurt either, especially if they are bad boys.

When Buffy's creator Joss Whedon was honored with an Equality Now Award in 2006 he told the audience why he writes these strong female characters. Joss Whedon is my master now.
(If you get that last sentence you're a geek too and I salute you.)

No comments: