Monday, February 15

Whip It - Roller Girls Rule

I watched Whip It this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised. Finally a girly feel-good movie that doesn't involve learning to walk in heels, acting more feminine and getting a pretty haircut.

Oh, and getting the guy isn't the most important thing either.
It's friendship, being true to yourself and Roller Derby.



It's great to see so many different types of women represented in the same movie, from the shy rookie Bliss Cavendar (Ellen Page) to the rude and badass Iron Maven (Juliette Lewis).


Roller derby girls. Drew Barrymore as Smashley Simpson, Ellen Page as Babe Ruthless and Kristen Wiig as Maggie Mayhem.


Juliette Lewis as Iron Maven.

I first learned about Roller Derby a few years ago, when I hung out at Punk Rock Domestics. Back then there were few roller girls outside the US, and the sport was just getting started in London.

The sport has grown since the last time I looked, and now there's even a team in Copenhagen. I'm tempted to take the train across the bridge to see what they are about...
Roller Derby looks like so much fun, but I'm scared that I'm gonna break something.

No comments: