Monday, June 28

Ruth Brown

Because I sometimes dress in vintage clothes, wear my hair in 1940s styles and like mid-century modern design, some people assume that I would like to live in the era of housewives, classic cars and sock hops.
I don't. Oh, I would love to go back in time on the mother of all shopping trips but I'm very happy living in the 21st century. Embracing the look of an era is not the same thing as embracing the values of that time.

But I love the look and the energy of the rock n roll pioneers. I find the same energy and rebellion in big band swing, early rock n roll and punk. And all women weren't shrinking violets in the 1940s and 1950s. Just look at Miss Rhythm herself, Ruth Brown.



If that performance isn't kick ass I don't know what is. So if you're expecting a woman who'll stay at home and cook or mend your clothes, keep moving. This girl has gone rockin'.

2 comments:

Welcome to DeluxeVille said...

Gotta love Ruth Brown! She's one of my favorites.
Yeah, people don't really understand sometimes that we all so enjoy our technology.

MaryD

punk in writing said...

I discovered Ruth Brown by using modern technology... ;)