Tuesday, July 6

Writer's Crush

Ever had a writer's crush? Ever read words that just find their way to your heart? It's like falling in love with a song or another work of art; part admiration for the work itself and part admiring the artist who created it.

My current writer's crush are the lyrics written by Brian Fallon from The Gaslight Anthem. I've been listening to both their old stuff like Señor and the Queen EP and their latest album, American Slang. Let me tell you, that young man from New Brunswick has a way with words.

Brian Fallon

The lyrics and the way he delivers them is amazing.
"I need a Cadillac ride, I need a soft summer night, say a prayer for my soul Senorita."

And if there ever was a song that describes how I feel about my boys in the saint 21 crew it's Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts.

"Still we sing with our heroes, 33 rounds per minute
We're never going home until the sun says we're finished

I'll love you forever if I ever love at all

With wild hearts, blue jeans, & white t-shirts"


It's both weird and wonderful that the words of someone I have never met can move me and stir my feelings.

It reminds me of reading Shakespeare, CS Lewis and Laura Ingalls Wilder as a girl. Words can be relevant to someone else long after the writer has left this world.
Anyone who creates something leaves a little piece of themselves behind, for someone else to find. I think it's a very human thing. All most of us want in the end is to know that we made a difference, that us being here mattered.

2 comments:

Dotted With Hearts said...

I have crush on him, too. Yet, my crush is not just lyrical :))

punk in writing said...

Yes it certainly doesn't hurt to look at him. :)