Thursday, February 24

Press Pass

I got a chance to check out the travelling circus that is the Swedish Eurovision Song Contest at Malmö arena today. What used to be one night of selecting a winner that will compete with the rest of Europe is now a six week tour that criss-crosses Sweden before the grande finale in Stockholm.

They have a great press room and it was fun to walk around during rehearsal and look at organisation, preparations and all the logistics. I worked at Student TV at Lund University a few years ago and I always liked being a photographer. Working the steadycam and the big swooping cranes looks like so much fun. I always liked the hustle and bustle and craziness of live TV.

I haven't seen a Eurovision programme in years and I don't read about it in the news, so I was really surprised when I spotted Nicke Borg from Backyard Babies behind the stage. Turns out he's competing on Saturday... oh my.

So we checked out the rehearsal and listened to the song. After hearing it three times I can't say that I'm all that impressed. It ain't bad but it's a little too mainstream and a little too much Mike Ness-wannabe for my taste.

Nicke Borg rehearsing.

And here's some old school Backyard Babies... I hope Nicke sticks to his day job.

No comments: