Tuesday, February 21

Now with Bourbon

A cold has been sneaking up on me these last few days, so instead of going to the gym I'm spending the evening on the sofa. I decided to cook some french onion soup since I bought a whole bunch of onions yesterday. I found a recipe online and gave it a try.

But it was lacking something... White wine was among the ingredients as an option, but I didn't have any white wine at home. Hmm... but I do have bourbon. So I added a splash and it was pretty darn tasty. Added another splash and that made it even better.

 Soup in progress.

French Onion Soup with bourbon.
Served with toasted croissant with cheddar and fresh thyme.

French Onion Soup with Bourbon
Serves 2

You need: 
3 yellow onions
1 tablespoon butter 
0,5 teaspoon sugar
5 dl water
1/2 cube of vegetable stock
handful of fresh thyme
salt and pepper to taste
and last but not least - a splash of bourbon. Or go crazy and add two.

Peel and chop the onions. Put the butter in a saucepan and add the onions. Cook them on medium heat for 5-10 minutes. They should be soft and yummy but not get any color.
Add the sugar and stir. Add the boiling water, vegetable stock, thyme and bourbon. Cook on medium/high heat for about ten minutes and add salt and pepper to taste.

This soup is traditionally eaten with bread and cheese on top of the soup but a sandwich on the side works too. I had a leftover croissant hanging around in my fridge so I added some cheddar and fresh thyme before I grilled it. Yum!

No comments: