Sunday, September 2

Back in the saddle

It's been more than twenty years since I first started taking lessons at the local riding school. Over the years I've been to riding camp, been a groom at the riding school, jumped, ridden bareback, fallen of and gotten back up, ridden across mountains and gone swimming with horses. And in almost every photo I can find from these twenty years as a rider I'm smiling.

There have been long periods of time when I couldn't fit horses into my life, but I always find my way back to the stables. I've ridden English style and Icelandic horses but it's western that really appeals to me. I learned the basics almost a decade ago and this summer I found a trainer and a western riding school that I really like so I have become an active rider once again.
It's a challenge to learn a new style of riding and face my own insecurities but I don't regret a single minute spent in the saddle.

"[Horse and rider] look like one mind and one body. If you got a taste of what I'm talking about you couldn't get enough. You may spend your whole life chasing that. But it's a good thing to chase."
Buck Brannaman

 Memories.

Riding Cody.

Mia and me in the woods today.

2 comments:

sadmanstongue.com said...

Nice blog. Love this post. Reminds me of when I used to take lessons.

sadmanstongue.com said...

Reminds me of when I was young taking lessons. I mean younger of course :)